Free delightful dating site
Nearby towns include Royston to the northeast, Letchworth and Hitchin to the southwest and Stevenage to the south.
At the beginning of the Iron Age there was a hillfort at Arbury Banks, 5 km to the northeast of Baldock, that dominated the area. 100 BC), the local power base shifted from the hillfort to the vicinity of Baldock.
-dək) is a historic market town in the local government district of North Hertfordshire in the ceremonial county of Hertfordshire, England where the River Ivel rises.
It lies 33 miles (53 km) north of London, 15 miles (24 km) southeast of Bedford, and 14 miles (23 km) north northwest of the county town of Hertford.
The connection between the great city of Baudac and the ruins of Babylon, in the facile minds of the Templars, were obscurely compared with the great city of London and the ruins of Baldock.
The modern layout of the town and many buildings in the centre date from the sixteenth century, with the earliest dating from the fourteenth century.
Baldock's position at the crossing of two important thoroughfares, the Great North Road and the Icknield Way has made it a stopping point for a number of illustrious visitors, including Charles I, who passed through Baldock en route for London after his arrest in 1648 In the 1960s and 70s Baldock was a centre of laser research at a MOD laboratory called SERL (Services Electronics Research Laboratory).The Wynn almshouses, in the High Street, were founded in 1621 and were endowed "To the World's End" by John Wynne, a cloth merchant from London who left £1000 in his will of 1614 for their upkeep.Since 1850, the town has a railway station which today operates on the line between London Kings Cross and Cambridge.The soil was easily farmed and transportation was more convenient.In the Roman and late Roman eras the community appears to have been both a market town and religious centre. There is no entry for Baldock in the Domesday Book.